The little further than the advent of the 21st century is phenomenal and revolutionizing all the sectors in the industry are creating a wave of change. It comes as no surprise if manual toiling is being replaced by automation or advanced use of computers and software.
The industrialization bought capitalism, it encouraged globalization and in turn flow of cash from one to the other. The industrialization was a medium to bring about change and evolve with time. It marked employment opportunities, skill development, an increase in the overall revenue, developed economies and much more. The whole century after industrialization was focused on manual skill employment and very little was thought about automation. All the processes, bills, etc. were recorded manually. Manual work was prominent except in cases where direct manufacturing was involved. Manual work is prone to errors or misplacement of data. Manual work is employable in instances where brains are utilized. Automation saves cost and time. It enabled more work in less time plus added savings benefit.
Automation in easy language is defined as minimal manual interference required to monitor the use of control systems. It is the application of computer and science to ease things to have better control over time and cash flow too. It makes the hectic work easier and rational enough to be used by many. We can look over an example of Automated Teller Machine (ATM). These are the automated ed machines which discharge currencies when logic derived the response to a user selection is based on already coded functions. Automation is based on developing the required logic to start and complete an individual process. It focuses on letting the end users or the system to complete the task on its own by following a pre-defined set of logic to obtain the desired output.
What difference lies between Manual and Automatic testing?
Every day new software or logic are developed and coded. Lots of brainstorming and efforts are involved in the creation of a new system or process. Every product or software developer needs to be tested under varying conditions to ensure its applicability. Test engineers always attempt to catch hold of any bug before it is detected by someone else, but this isn’t always possible.
Testing can be of any of the two types-
The type of tests is always determined by the project requirements, budget, suitability, etc. The most influencing factors for any preheat includes time and quality.
Manual testing often involves tedious person hours to be put into various aspects of testing. It is inclusive of massive investment in human resources. It is usually not possible by manual intervention to test all the parameters in software. There lies a high chance of missing onto something significant in case of manual testing. Manual testing demands long hours of sitting in front of computers and figuring out various stages of input combinations, correlating results and penning down observations. Manual testing is ineffective and slow. Manual testing is feasible when tests need to be run once or twice. It also allows human analysis if they wish to improve customer experience. When manual testing is going on, experience combined with knowledge would determine how well one can record analysis. Wherever there is a need for manual analysis and recording observation, efficiency and convenience of the software can be done.
Automated testing has a plethora of modern-day advantages. In fast-paced environments, it becomes quite evident that everyone is running out of time and wants works to be done faster. Test Automation doesn’t let any undetected bugs slip out and provides room for improvement. It ensured lesser time consumption and increased the scope of the test. Software tests involved repetition in tests to check if the system reacts differently under similar conditions. It allows repeat tests in case of uncertainty and leaves humans to do more of exploratory testing. It is always feasible for big organizations who can afford the total costs and is not advisable for smaller firms. Automated tests can be run time and again with minimal costs, unlike manual tests. It increases the scope and depth of the tests. Automated tests are completed in less time and ensure timely release of software too.
On the other hand, manual testing can be prosaic, erred and vexing. Repetition of test cases and data with light changes is exhausting, and test automation receives manual work. It ensures the accuracy of the tests performed and also causes more focus on risk analysis. Thorough tests involve rigorous and significant efforts, and al the case scenarios need to be well understood and run to validate all scenarios and ensure the given application is compatible with any device. These can be run on different computers having different configurations and can cover many aspects included in the tests to analyze them widely. Manual testing doesn’t involve 100 percent accuracy. Even after consciously testing applications, some mistakes are bound to occur.
Automated tests run the same sequence of steps every time and always record detailed observations and outcomes. Manual tees become monotonous, and it isn’t possible to test everything. Automated tests can run uncountable applications and aspects involved in software. Considerable investment is required in automatic testing tools and is performed by reliable tools/ scripts. Automation increases efficiency and effectiveness after bug fixing.
Why is automatic testing needed in any industry?
The technological changes have immensely affected the quality of products released. The need to deliver the premium quality of products and services is possible if and only if efficiency and productivity go hand in hand. It calls for engineering revamp, automated manufacturing, and automation. Automation is about delivering higher quality products in a smarter, faster and better way. It is about evolving from the current process and moving towards more efficient processes. Industrial automation has been advancing towards increased productivity, stringent safety standards, and better designs.
Benefits of Test Automation?
Each passing day brings us closer to technological advancements and developments. It is becoming increasingly necessary to make up the procedures more efficient and enhance productivity to save time and cost. R&D is all about strengthening the two mentioned aspects. Automated tests increase the quality of the software and ensure high-quality output. Tools which would compare the results of the tests can effectively run automated test scenarios. The following can be said after automated tests are run-
- The software is tested during various phases of its development. It has to pass all of it before one can move ahead. Automated tests rescue the coders of communication problems of the potential flaws all at once.
- Since automated tests are quick to point out shortcomings, results can be studied and implementations applied in lesser time. In such cases, tests can be carried out faster, and results recorded for every scenario.
- Business expenses are higher on the initial side but since automation reduces the time and produces faster results. Time-saving is synonymous to cost saving.
- Testing is of the critical phases of the application development. Automated tests save money due to sharp steep in time to run tests. Although the setups take time initially, tests take significantly lesser time and more time can be dedicated to fixing bugs or analyze the results.
- More number of tests can be executed in any given time since repetition isn’t a problem here and time-saving is already an added benefit. Increased test coverage leads to more tested aspects and features in an application.
- Since repetitive tests can be carried out without any lag in time, the configuration of setup after initial installation isn’t a problem. Automated test scenarios are reusable and can be modified according to needs.
- Shortcomings or glitches are easy to detect and can be recorded for every scenario run. Documentation ion flaws become easier for testing teams. It enhances speed in testing while ensuring cost-effectiveness by wider coverage of functionality.
- One of the most advantageous aspects of test automation is thoroughness in testing and wider coverage of all the test aspects. Testing ensures all the areas are tested in equal proportion, and nothing is left at anyone’s mercy.
- Since automated tests save time, it becomes quite less time consuming to market and releases the product online/ into the market. It is possible due to lesser time consumption, and once automation takes place, test library enclosure execution is quick, and simulation is longer than manual testing.
- The effectiveness of any test depends on the quality of the data used. Quality refers to the conditions in which data is obtained and the depth of data collected. Automation helps with modification, manipulation and protecting the database with reputations in test scenarios run.
The most important aspect of automated testing is the cost-benefit and the addition of something valuable to the project. It generates higher revenue, promotes the brand image, and ensures customer retention. Faster results call for more investment and process innovation thus contributing to the organization’s growth and recognition in the market. This would lead to permanent bug fixing along with raised industry standards. It helps to recognize the importance of quality and make it a part of core business strategy.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: